Saturday, September 27, 2008

PDX: finally in the northwest

I had never been to the northwest-- which is odd because I know so many people from there. Both Dylan and Phil are from there, and Jacob has lived there for most of the time I have known him-- but, I'd never gotten up there until this summer. Unfortunately, Dylan and Phil are both living in California, but I got to spend a lot of time with Jacob and some other PDX transplants.
So, on Wednesday, 11 June, I landed in Portland and Lisa picked me up from the airport. I've known Lisa since I was in 7th or 8th grade; she was actually my first girlfriend-- ha. We went out for dinner and then for a drink. Later, Tai came out and we went out to a couple different bars. I had a pretty killer streak of RockPaperScissor matches. The next morning, Tai took me to Junior's-- the best veggie breakfast in Portland. The weather was unbelievable while I was in Portland, and the plants and flowers looked beautiful. I met with Lisa and went for a drive around Portland. I thought this was weird. Then we walked around downtown and ran into Matt. He was working, but we made plans to meet up later. I saw the community bike shop, the Doug Fir and Lisa's new apartment. The Doug Fir is a pretty cool place, but I think a lot of locals kind of hate on it. In the afternoon, I went up north to meet up with Jacob and Sean. Matt got off work and met us at the Note, where I met a bunch of wicked dudes from Portland. Claire called and scooped us all up to head to a dance party at ... . This was a pretty wicked party, and I met a lot of people that I have heard about for years-- like Steve and Rafael. It was kind of a bummer to be out in Portland without Dylan or Phil, but Matt, Claire and everyone showed me a wicked time. After the party, we went to Raf's to hang out. I crashed here-- thanks Rafael. The next morning we went to a pretty wicked veggie place for breakfast. Everyone had to go to work, so I wandered around Portland and met up with Jacob. He took me on a tour of Portland's famous strip clubs-- well, just Union Jacks and Mary's Club. We also went by Burnside, which was really, really cool to finally see in person. Matt finished work, and we decided to have some fun downtown. We filled up some water balloons and talked with some locals. Later, I went out for crepes with Claire, Raf and some others. Raf is always a lot of fun to walk around with. The next morning, he took me to Hungry Tiger Too for breakfast. By this point, I was exhausted, so I turned off my phone and caught a train to Seattle. I needed to eat and relax and knew Thom's place would be comfortable.

No comments: