Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sheffield, England

The train station in Sheffield is really beautiful-- some wicked fountains and a nice plaza. I met a girl from Germany on the train and we split a taxi to the University. So, for the first 5 days, the University had arranged for me to stay in a dorm while I found a place. There were a lot of international students around for the week. It was a great way to meet a lot of people from Nigeria, Germany, Mexico, Holland, Iran, Iman, Uganda, Malta, Kenya, Ethiopia, Egypt, Denmark, China, India and Pakistan. It was a lot of fun, but the program for the week included a lot of "mandatory" lectures or tours that really just got in the way of apartment hunting, obtaining a bank account and getting a cell phone. The first few days were pretty relaxed: I played pool with 2 Nigerian guys and went out to a sculpture garden in the country. The 11 other people in my program are amazing-- all very accomplished and very intelligent. And, as for the food, it's really not all bad. By the middle of the week, I finally started breaking off at night to meet some English locals-- not too hard to do when you're seeing dudes in Blind Guardian shirts, karaokeing Warrant's Cherry Pie. There were a group of 20 year old metal kids at the Nelson; one guy, Joe, happens to live around the corner from me. Later that night, we went over to the Casbah-- a nearby punk/metal club. There's a crust kid that bar backs there-- he always gives me flyers to upcoming shows.

No comments: