Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 1: A New City

To wrap up our stay at the University, the Mayoress of Sheffield hosted a formal dinner. It was a good way to end the week with a lot of new people. Afterwards, I went in to town to meet up with a couple of guys from the other night at the Casbah. Ken sings in a Guns 'n Roses cover band and sounds exactly like Axl Rose-- he even moves like him when he sings. I'm trying to get him to karaokee One in a Million. His girlfriend bartends at the big metal club in town-- it's a little too young of a crowd for my taste, but around 1am on a Friday it seems like an okay place. And, Craig is a vegetarian hesher from Newcastle-- they make up a pretty good group of people to be out with; plus, they're all around 30, which is a welcomed change from most of the undergrads around campus. On Saturday, I took the bus around town and went for a Nigerian dinner with my Ethiopian friend, Henock. On Sunday, I was around town taking some pictures and ran into two old English guys: Russ and (Fat) Steve. They were in the middle of a pub crawl and had me tag along-- paid for all my pints for the remaining 7 pubs. Real stand up dudes; both really smart and Steve works in Sheffield's famous steel industry and listens to punk. That night, Joe, Craig and I went to the Green Room to see a Belgian hardcore band and a French thrash band-- it was one of the better punk shows I've seen in a while. I split a taxi home with Joe and grabbed a pint at our local pub, the Cobden View Hotel.

No comments: