Monday, April 6, 2009

Newcastle

Ah-- it's been over 2 months since I posted on here. At first, it seemed like I wasn't really doing too much once my second semester started. But, then all of the sudden, I realised I had been doing a lot of cool stuff; I just couldn't be bothered to sit down and write about it. Anyways, I just got back from a weekend in Craig's home town, Newcastle and thought I'd put some photos up. We drove up on Saturday and stopped just outside the city to check out the Angel of the North; I had seen it once from the train, but it was cool to see it up close. As I've mentioned before, I have a bit of an interest in Gormley's stuff.
Afterwards, we headed into town and saw a few of the sites. Newcastle was playing Chelsea at home, and former star player Alan Shearer was making his managing debut. Shearer has a bar named after him at the grounds-- outside actually getting a ticket, this was probably the best place to watch the match. Unfortunately, Newcastle lost. We then checked out some of the sites: the Quays, the Tyne Bridge and the Millenium Eye. All pretty cool to see.
We went up to Craig's mum's house for vegan tea before heading out to meet some of his old friends. Turned out to be a pretty good night-- we ended up at a real cool cutty spot called the Star & Shadow. This is the type of venue that every city should have; sadly, I don't think Sheffield does.
Over my 3 week break, I'm hoping to get a few more photos from the past 2 months up, but we'll see how that goes.

No comments: